- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Posted on 09-01-2017
Avoid Cheap Sunglasses to Save Your Eyesight
Cheap sunglasses are no bargain. In fact, they can be unhealthy and even dangerous for your eyes. Your eyes need protection from the sun not just to help you see better, perform better and be more comfortable. You also need protection from harmful UV rays that can lead to eye damage and disease over time. Don't take a chance with cheap sunglasses, which may not even be impact resistant or designed to shatter safely. To ensure you get quality eyewear, including prescription sunglasses, visit your eye doctor in Fairfax, VA.
Why You Need Real UV Protection
Here are some of the eye diseases and conditions that sun exposure (and its UV radiation) can cause or make worse:
- Cataracts - UV rays from the sun may cause or contribute to the growth of cataracts, which can, in turn, cause vision loss.
- Macular degeneration - UV radiation may be a contributing factor in the development of this age-related eye disease. Macular degeneration can cause central vision loss (blank or black spots at the center of your visual field).
- Cancer of the eyelid - This skin cancer is attributed to UV exposure.
- Photokeratitis - Temporary post-exposure eye sunburn that makes eye red and irritated.
- Premature skin wrinkling - Delicate eye area skin is prone to wrinkling, which is accelerated by unprotected sun exposure.
Preserve Your Eye Health and Prevent Vision Loss with High-Quality Polarized Sunglasses
Make sure that any sunglasses that you buy or wear screen out 75 to 90 percent of visible light and block 100 percent of UVA and UVB rays. Buy from reputable retailers and look for labels; you cannot judge by how dark the lenses appear.
Advantages of polarized sunglasses include:
- Designed to cut glare
- Help you see clearly even in the presence of high-intensity reflected light (off of water, glass, etc.
- Comfortable, helping to avoid eye strain
- Help you see colors accurately
Polarized glasses are not the best choice in all conditions, for instance, viewing computer or mobile device screens.
Choosing Sunglasses to Fit Your Needs
All our sunglasses have well-made lenses which can be tinted to various degrees, polarized and/or photochromic (capable of changing from dark to light). We also offer anti-reflective coating to cut glare further and anti-scratch coating to protect lenses. Our eye doctor can help you select the best type for you, with special features that make them perfect for driving or a particular sport, for example. We also offer a wide range of the latest frame styles.
Get Quality, Fashionable and Truly Protective Prescription Sunglasses at Our Optometrist in Rockville
For your annual eye exam and high-quality sunglasses, contact Dr. Howard Budner & Associates. Contact our optometrist in Rockville, MD at 301-871-0180 and Fairfax, VA at 703-691-8008 today.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.